James Maddison: Leicester midfielder goes off injured in first half against West Ham ahead of World Cup
James Maddison suffers injury just nine days before England’s World Cup opener; Leicester midfielder has been named in Gareth Southgate’s 26-man squad for Qatar; the 25-year-old went off with a knee problem early in the first half at West Ham
Saturday 12 November 2022 16:04, UK
Image: James Maddison awaits treatment before going off injured
England are sweating over James Maddison’s fitness for the World Cup after the Leicester attacking midfielder went off injured early in the first half at West Ham.
Maddison, who opened the scoring against the Hammers in the eighth minute, was taken off in the 25th minute at the London Stadium with a leg injury, just two days after he was named in England’s 26-man squad for Qatar.
But with England’s first game against Iran on Monday November 21, his injury puts his place in doubt.
- Gareth Southgate right or wrong? Our writers’ verdict on England’s World Cup squad
- World Cup team guide: England | Pick your England starting XI
- Qatar 2022 World Cup fixtures and venues
- World Cup 2022 confirmed final schedule, teams and draw
- Download the Sky Sports App
How Maddison’s injury unfolded
22: James Maddison is down and it’s Leicester’s medical team who are on now. Declan Rice is over to chat to his England team-mate, who looks to have an issue with his knee.
24: Maddison is walking off and that’s his afternoon over – let’s hope it’s a knock and nothing more serious with eight days to go until the World Cup.
25: Dennis Praet comes on for Maddison.
Maddison went down against West Ham holding his lower leg and then received treatment on the pitch before limping off to be substituted.
Watching the West Ham vs Leicester game for Soccer Saturday, Clinton Morrison said: “He knew straightaway. He just went into the middle of the park and went down.
- PL LIVE! Liverpool, West Ham & Bournemouth lead, Spurs level again
- Rugby League World Cup: England and Samoa level with 10 minutes left LIVE!
- Maddison goes off injured vs West Ham in final match before World Cup
- World Cup 2022 schedule, teams and draw
- Sargeant drives for Williams in crucial session ahead of Sao Paulo Sprint LIVE!
- Maddison, Wilson, Gallagher in England’s World Cup squad
- EFL: Norwich, Coventry, Rotherham lead LIVE!
- Every World Cup 2022 squad listed
- Autumn Internationals: England start well against Japan LIVE!
- F1’s sprint race returns! When to watch Sao Paulo GP all live on Sky
- Latest News
“Maddison is feeling the back of his knee. He’s walking off.
“He looks really disappointed. He doesn’t look too distressed, so I don’t know until we hear from him at the end.
Maddison, Wilson, Gallagher in England’s World Cup squad
World Cup fixtures
2022 World Cup: Teams, schedule, venues
Kits: Who’s wearing what at Qatar 2022?
“But I hope he’s alright because he started the game brilliantly.”
If the injury puts Maddison out of the World Cup then England boss Gareth Southgate will be able to replace him, with FIFA rules permitting teams to make late replacements in the event of serious injury at any time up to 24 hours before their first game.
England’s Group B fixtures
Monday November 21 – England vs Iran (Khalifa International Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 1pm)
Friday November 25 – England vs USA (Al Bayt Stadium, Al Khor; kick-off 7pm)
Tuesday November 29 – Wales vs England (Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 7pm)
Win £250,000 with Super 6!
Another Saturday, another chance to win £250,000 for free. Entries by 3pm Saturday, good luck!